Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Begging is illegal in Abu Dhabi, particularly during Ramadan

These images, released by Abu Dhabi Police this week as part of their "No Begging" campaign, probably seem jarring if you haven't experienced the phenomenon of Ramadan begging.

 It really is a thing, where people come here to prey on the added goodwill the Holy Month brings with it. I've had a woman cradling an infant turn up at my door asking for money and two years ago, I was approached while getting into my car by a man wielding a festering sore on his forearm. Two weeks later, my friend encountered the same man. Same festering sore.




No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...